BULLETIN #1
To: Sports Renault Purchasers
From: Nicholas W. Craw
Date: October 31, 1983

Congratulations on being one of the first to order SCCA's new Sports Renault! We are delighted that the car has enjoyed a favorable reception and that the efforts of so many people have been rewarded with exceptional market acceptance.
-
We consider you to be important pioneers in this new concept and we will try and keep you informed on a regular basis as we continue the car's development and as we approach production and delivery. This bulletin is our first step in that regard.

Notwithstanding the car's enthusiastic reception, there is yet a great deal to be done before we are satisfied with the final product. Just to let you know some of the steps in that process:

(1) Testing. The Sports Renault will undergo at least three exhaustive track testing sessions, initially near Detroit and then, as we run out of weather, in the South, possibly California.

(2) Rules. We have already begun drafting a set of rules as well as the all-important policing procedures. These will be shared with you for comment as soon as they have gone through several iterations internally.

(3) Distribution and Assembly. We will be soliciting proposals for the award of exclusive market territories; these "dealers" will be required to provide assembly to customers at a fixed price and to offer parts support at the races. We are presently putting together a bidders list and criteria for selection and if you know of someone in your area whom you feel should be considered, please suggest that they contact us.

(4) National Class. Given the level of interest and the number of cars ordered, we anticipate that Sports Renault will be designated as a National Class for 1984; however, this requires specific Board action and this will be an agenda item for the November 18th meeting.

(5) Rebuilds. We are investigating several options in providing a rebuild mechanism for competitors which will assure a good supply of engines and quick turn-around service. As in the case of dealer/assemblers, please feel free to make suggestions or to stimulate inquiries.

(6) Contingency Money. There will be generous contingency funds attached to National races and to the Runoffs; the numbers are still very much in the discussion stage but it is our intention that these be substantial and enhance the income potential (and tax deductability) of the class.

(7) Professional Series. For long-range planning purposes, we are also looking for a pro series in 1985, although this will have to wait until 1984 when we can prove the product through the size and quality of the fields. Once again, however, we already have available sources of funding and it is only a question of amounts and of structuring the series itself.

(8) Production. It is clear that we need to make a maximum effort to deliver cars in the April/May/June window in order to enhance our competitors' chances of qualifying for the Runoffs; the delivery dates which we quoted at the CSPRRC are our minimum expected performance and we will shoot for delivery at faster and earlier dates.

(9) Wild Speculation Department. We are negotiating the possibility of an IROC-type race as a prelim to the Detroit GP, pitting six F-l drivers against six SCCA chauffeurs. While the concept is exciting and would surely give the new class a major launch, there are understandably a great many details yet to be worked out.

If you have questions that are not covered in this bulletin, please contact Bill King here in this office.

We will keep you posted as we continue to develop the car. Our thanks again to you for the confidence you have shown in this concept.

Nicholas W. Craw, President
                          Etched_Double_Line.gif (1197 bytes)

BULLETIN #2